Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Have any changes been made to the conference schedule this year?
A: Yes, there have been several changes made to the structure of the program schedule. The Opening Reception will be held on Saturday, October 6; there will be parallel paper and common ground sessions held on Sunday, October 7; the conference will end on Tuesday, October 9 with a cocktail reception. There will be no conference activities on Wednesday, October 10. For the detailed program schedule, please click here.
Q: What is a Paper Session?
A: A Paper Session is composed of 3 – 4 proposals that are presented sequentially by their author(s), with a short amount of time allotted for audience members to ask questions. Please click here for more information regarding a paper session.
Q: What is the role of a Session Chair?
A: Each Paper Session has a Session Chair. This position is often filled by one of the authors of a proposal that is presenting in the session. The main responsibility is to introduce the presenters and to make sure that the session starts and stays on its time schedule. Please contact the SMS Executive Office at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering for this role.
Q: What is a Common Ground Session?
A: A Common Ground Session is an interactive discussion between the author(s), audience members and a facilitator, centered around one common theme. Please click here for more information regarding a Common Ground Session.
Q: What is the role of a Facilitator?
A: Each Common Ground Session has a Facilitator, who is typically a known scholar on the session topic and not one of the authors. Their responsibility is to encourage discussion among the presenters and the audience, as well as keep control of the flow to ensure that it remains closely related to the topic of the proposals. The facilitator should prepare for the session in advance by familiarizing themselves with the material that is to be presented.
Q: Can I switch my proposal to a different session format?
A: No. Apart from the initial selection of preferred session type, authors will not be able to influence the session type they are assigned to. Final decision for accepted proposals will be made by the Program Directors and is determined by topic and/or developmental status of the proposal.
Q: Can I influence the scheduling of my presentation?
A: Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate special requests.
Q: What Audio Visual equipment will be available for presenters?
A: Presenters in Paper Sessions will have LCD projectors available, but will have to bring their own laptop computer. Authors participating in Common Ground Sessions will have access to flipcharts only. Overhead projectors will not be used in any sessions.
Q: Can I get a copy of the papers that will be presented?
A: All presenters will be invited to upload copies of their presentations to our website. They will be available to conference attendees to download. For copies of the paper, please contact the author directly.
Q: What does the registration fee include?
A: The registration fee includes access to all conference sessions, the welcome reception on Saturday night, an off-site evening event on Monday, the closing reception on Tuesday night, and networking luncheons on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.
Q: Does SMS 2013 membership come with my registration fee?
A: Yes, your conference registration fee includes your 2013 membership.
Q: How can I register for the conference?
A: You must register through our online registration system. If you have not done so already, you will need to create a short profile to be a recognized user on our website before accessing the online registration.
Q: How can I pay the registration fee?
A: We offer a variety of payment methods:
- Online credit card: Payment on secure site (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
- Credit card via mail or fax: Complete the payment portion of the registration invoice and mail or fax the form to the SMS Executive Office.
- Check: Mail copy of registration invoice with a check to the SMS Executive Office. Check must be drawn from a U.S. bank.
- Wire transfer: Wiring instructions can be found on the downloadable registration invoice. Please make all wiring fees payable by sender, and make sure to include your name in the transaction details.
Q: Can I register on-site at the conference?
A: Yes, on-site registration will be available each morning before the start of the program. The registration fees will be higher if you wait to register during the conference.
Q: When is my registration confirmed?
A: Your registration will be confirmed when SMS receives your conference fees. Until payment is received, your registration is pending.
Q: Do I receive a reduced conference rate as a current SMS Member?
A: Yes, current SMS members receive a $100 reduction on their registration fee.
Q: Is there a special registration fee for students?
A: Yes, there is a Student Bundle that includes a reduced registration fee as well as two years of SMS membership.
Q: What is your cancellation policy?
A: No refunds will be issued for cancellation of your registration, but you may transfer your registration to another person within your organization or to one of your co-authors. Please click here to view our cancelation policy.
Q: I am an international guest and will need an official Letter of Invitation to apply for my visa. How can I get this?
A: You can request an invitation letter by contacting the SMS Executive Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that visa issuance is outside of our control and often requires considerable time and effort from you.
- Do you require a visa: Visa requirements are set by the country you plan to visit. It is your responsibility to check entry requirements with the consular officials of the countries to be visited well in advance of your trip.
- SMS cannot guarantee the issuance of a visa to enter the Czech Republic
Q: Where is the 2012 SMS Annual International Conference being held?
- A: Prague Congress Centre
- 5. kvetna 65
- 140 21 Prague 4
- Czech Republic
Q: Will I have to make a hotel guestroom reservation?
A: Yes, all conference attendees are responsible for making their own hotel reservations. SMS has contracted a room block at the Corinthia Hotel Prague. Rooms are available for a special rate on a first-come, first-serve basis. We advise all attendees to make reservations early to secure a room with the special conference rate.
Q: How can I make hotel reservations for the SMS Prague Conference?
A: Reservations should be made directly with the Corinthia Hotel Prague. You can make a reservation online at: SMS Annual International Conference
Q: What is the deadline to reserve a guestroom?
A: Your reservation must be made by August 3, 2012 to receive the reduced room rate. Please note there are a limited number of guest rooms available through the SMS block, and could be exhausted before this date.
Q: What if the SMS room block is exhausted?
A: The conference hotel may make additional rooms available, but likely not at the special SMS conference rate. There are other hotels in the area where rooms may be available. We recommend making your arrangements early.
Q: How do I get to the conference venue?
A: The Prague Congress Centre is a short, easy walk from the Corinthia Hotel. Please click here to view a map that shows the location of the Congress Centre and the hotel.
Q: How do I get to the Corinthia Hotel?
A: How do I get to the Corinthia Hotel?
From the Airport:
- The distance from the Prague-Ruzyne International Airport is approximately15 kilometers. A taxi ride from the airport to the Corinthia Hotel will take approximately 30 – 45 minutes and costs about 25 EUR / 670 CZK. You can also travel to the hotel by public transit, however, it does require transferring from a bus to a train.
- To travel by public transit, take bus No. 119 from the airport to the underground station Dejvická. From there, take the train to the Museum station, and then change to line C and go to the Vyšehrad Station. The Corinthia Hotel is next to this station. You will need to buy a ticket for around 2 EUR / 32 CZK for this journey.
From the City Centre:
- There is a north-south highway that runs from downtown to the Corinthia Hotel. The hotel is also easily accessible by taking the train to the Vyšehrad station, metro line C.